
What a blessing to experience Germany with several of my students this summer. Even with an unexpected trip to the ER, it was such a special time to see them fall in love with the culture and practice their language skills.
| Marita, Peter, and their boys in Munich. |
What a blessing to be able to spend time with special people who hold a piece of my heart even across the miles.
| Gretel, Ilona, and Berni |
What a blessing that there are people that I don't see for years and yet within minutes feel like I saw them only yesterday.
It's been 15 years since I first came to Kevelaer and stayed with Ilona, Marita and their mother, Margret as a shy teenager. We've shared laughs, tears and they've taught me so much.
In many ways they are present with me in the classroom on a daily basis.
Each time I visit I feel that I've "come home" in a way.
What a blessing to have a home away from home and a family halfway around the world who loves me.
Gretel has such a green thumb and sent cuttings from her garden home with me. I had some serious doubts whether these would make it through customs, but no one seemed concerned when I declared my precious plants so they have been taking root in jars on my sunny kitchen windowsill. I can't wait to plant them and watch this little bit of Gretel's garden take root in Kansas.
No comments:
Post a Comment